On the hunt for simple, creative and very nutritious beet juice recipes? Who can blame you. After all, beets have been making their rounds in the news, being hailed for everything from their longevity benefits to their ability to fight cancer.
And it’s no wonder – these vibrantly-hued plants come with a heap of health benefits. Beets contain an ample amount of well-known antioxidants such as vitamin C and manganese, but much of their antioxidant powers come from a lesser-known antioxidant called betalains.
These potent antioxidants are responsible for giving beets their characteristically bright-red color and have been shown to help fight cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and inflammation in the body.
These helpful little antioxidants also support cellular detoxification and cleansing in your body. Through a process called phase 2 cleansing, toxic substances in our body are chemically combined with a small nutrient group which helps to neutralize the toxins and make them water-soluble so that they can be flushed out with your urine.
8 Best Beet Juice Recipes
An extra plus? Beets add a bright brilliance to every juice you add it to. Get your share of these scarlet beauties with our favorite beet juice recipes below!
Beet the Heat
When it gets unbearably hot outside, what do you turn to? Your trusty juicer, of course. Here’s an easy recipe to help you “beet” the heat:
- 1 organic cucumber
- 2 organic apples
- 1 organic beet
The apples and beet keep the juice recipe at a delicious sweet level and the cucumber, of course, is one of the best foods to keep cool.
Run to the Beet
Here’s a super simple and very hydrating beet juice recipe you can whip up quickly anytime you need a good dose of hydration and electrolytes, like after the gym:
- 2 cups watermelon
- 1 beetroot
- 1 lemon (peeled)
Perfect amount of sweetness to reward yourself after a workout. Plus, beet juice is known to help speed the recovery process after a heavy workout and watermelon restores your fluid and electrolyte balance after a particularly sweaty session. Feel free to add a dash of Himalaya salt if you want an extra dose of electrolytes.
Beet Red Green Juice
Want a super simple green juice recipe with just a few ingredients and tons of benefits? Here’s a brilliant one:
- 1 bunch parsley
- 3 medium beets, quartered (juice the stems too!)
- 2 apples
- 1/2 lime
Quick tip: The recipe is sweet enough with just the beets so you can feel free to skip the apples (or replace them with cucumbers) if you’re on a low-sugar diet.
This is a very simple, cleansing juice recipe that’s perfect to drink in the morning to rev you up for the day:
- 2 medium beets
- 1 cucumber
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 lemon
It’s a quick juice, too, which makes it ideal for those busy mornings.
Fennel and Fruit Beta Carotene Juice
This is one lovely juice recipe to wake up to – guaranteed to kick your system into gear, freshen your breath from within, and start your day off on the brightest note. It’s got anti-oxidant-packed orange and apples to lend the overall recipe a welcome sweetness, betanin-laden beets to help your system gently detox, and iron-rich fennel to boost your digestive powers.
Beet the Bloat Juice Recipe
You know those days when your body just seems to be holding all the water you’ve ever drank? Well, here’s a simple recipe to help flush everything out:
- 3 beets
- 3 carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 1″ piece of ginger
Beet, carrots and celery are all natural, gentle diuretics so drink up and wave that bloat good-bye!
Ruby Red Cleansing Tonic
Here’s a super simple cleansing tonic that’s as beautifully nourishing as it is aesthetically pleasing:
- 2 grapefruits (peeled)
- 1 large beetroot (beet greens can be left on)
- 2 cucumbers
The combination of beets and grapefruit helps to neutralize toxins and makes them water-soluble so they can be flushed out of our system through urination. Grapefruits are also wonderful natural cleansers and cucumbers serve as a refreshing base to this power-packed juice recipe. Drink before meals to promote weight loss!
Rejuvenating Root Juice
This is one of the best beet juice recipes. Ever. The perfect concoction of delicious immune-boosting, nutrient-rich goodness:
- 1 medium beet
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 medium blood orange (peeled)
- ½ a lemon (peeled)
- 2 inch turmeric root
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
Has the ideal amount of sugar and spice, with the sweeter root veggies like beet and carrot keeping everything palatable while the turmeric, ginger and peppers spice and zing it up.
Tips on Making Your Own Beet Juice Recipes
- Go raw: As previously mentioned, it is best to drink raw beet juice. Cooking beets causes beneficial substances to be lost.
- Not so much, so fast: A little goes a long way when it comes to benefitting from raw beet juice and an 8 oz glass per day is plenty to reap all the benefits of this lovely plant. Just keep in mind that beet does help you detoxify and can be a bit strong so start with juicing just 1/2 a beet a day and work up from there.
- Enjoy the whole beet: Beets have advantages for everyone! Make sure you are juicing the whole beet (both root and greens). The greens have a higher iron content than spinach and also bring calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, sodium and copper to the mix. They are loaded with vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, C and K. The root presents a significant source of iodine, manganese, potassium, fiber, natural sugars, choline and folate.
- Remember you had beets: I can’t remember the number of times I absentmindedly went to the bathroom and freaked out thinking that I was peeing blood…and then remember I’d had beet juice. So don’t freak out – it’s just the beet juice.
Beet juice is a nutritious and sweet beverage with a large quantity of health benefits. The next time you are creating a healthy cocktail of beneficial fruits and vegetables, remember to add some beetroot and greens for that added healthy kick.